What to Pack When Hunting at Big Sand Lake Lodge
Some tips that will help you and help us!
Since the success of your hunt depends on your gear as well as your ability, it is important to be well equipped. The weather at this time of year is unpredictable and can go from sunny +60 degrees F to -15 degrees F with snow and rain. Preparation is key to enjoying your hunting trip at Big Sand Lake Lodge. Please read and follow these guidelines.
It’s extremely important that all guests keep their personal gear to 40 to 50 lbs. Make sure that you pack your gear in a soft cover travel bag (heavy-duty nylon duffle bag or sport bags), as this is much easier to load and maximizes our loads on the aircraft. Due to aircraft weight limitations, overweight baggage may also have to be left behind. The responsibility and discretion will ultimately be with the pilot. Absolutely no coolers will be permitted as part of luggage. You may leave your coolers in Winnipeg and, upon returning from your hunt, you may use your coolers then to transport meat home.
What to bring for moose hunting.
- When registering your firearm you will need proper identification. A driver’s license will not be enough. Make sure you have a birth certificate and/or passport.
- A pair of leather hiking boots, well broken in, not worn out.
- Bring good quality wool socks. Also, some thinner socks to wear under the wool socks.
- Fit your foot gear to this arrangement.
- Two pairs of cotton, wool, long underwear.
- Two pairs of wool trousers.
- Two warm wool or heavy flannel shirts. 1 pair of warm leather gloves and 1 pair of wool gloves.
- Rain pants. Get these in camouflaged color and get a good quality, not plastic!
- A rifle suitable for killing the game you are going after, 30-06 or larger.
- Underwear and t-shirts or undershirts.
- One blaze orange sleeveless vest.
- Hat and stocking cap. One blaze orange.
- Lightweight Down jacket complete with hood. (NOTE: wear jacket on plane into camp)
- Personal items, medicines, and toilet articles.
- Hunting knife, and stone or steel.
- Sun glasses, binoculars, camera, and film.
- Flashlight (small) and spare batteries.
- Fishing Rod w/ 20+ lb test (medium- to heavy-action) and tackle (large spoons)
Firearms recommendation for moose hunting:
- 30-06 Springfield
- 308 Winchester
- 7mm Remington Magnum
- 300 Winchester Magnum
- 300 Weatherby Magnum
- 7mm Weatherby Magnum